Swell Hair, Swell Makeup, Swell Skin, Swell Style, Swell Smells, Swell Fitness, and Swell Guys.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Swell Fitness: Running Mantras

I've mentioned before that I'm a runner. I'm sure that I've also mentioned that it's never easy for me. I have few truly "easy" runs, but at the end of the run, that feeling of accomplishment makes each and every one truly worth it.




To deal with the challenges of running, I've found a few things that work well for me. For example, I like to measure a run in short laps or short distances, hit repeatedly, in order to make my way through the miles. That way I can tell myself, I'm a 1/10 of the way there, 1/4 of the way there, etc. Another trick I use is I repeat mantras to myself.

Deepak Chopra explains the way a mantra helps here.......

You can use a mantra (sound) to increase the benefit of exercise. Research with instruments such as the electroencephalograph or EEC, which measures electrical activity in the brain, has shown that certain mental states are beneficial to both physical and mental health. Specifically, researchers have found a very beneficial condition of “restful attention,” which is typically observed during meditation.
Simply put - a mantra is a form of meditation.

I'm not sure how "restful" my mantras are, as one of them is AC/DC's "T.N.T., I'm Dynamite." Another is from Trapt's song, Headstrong that goes, "Back off I’ll take you on, Headstrong to take on anyone," (I run better when just a tiny bit pissed).  I also like to think of Steve from Blues Clues saying, "Just keep going." That may not be totally accurate, but that's what I think I remember him saying. Doesn't matter - it works even if it's wrong.

The last mantra that I use works well with my concept of short laps. I tell myself when I start out, "I can do anything for an hour." Then, it turns into, "I can do anything for 30 minutes," "I can do anything for 12 minutes," etc. And I'm 100% correct - I can do anything for an hour. I gave birth to three babies and I had long, long labors with each. Running for an hour is most definitely no big thing.

Do you use any sort of mantra when you exercise? Do you find that giving yourself a pep talk mid-workout helps to increase your energy?

No comments:

Post a Comment