Swell Hair, Swell Makeup, Swell Skin, Swell Style, Swell Smells, Swell Fitness, and Swell Guys.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Swell Style: A Girl's First Makeup

Friday was my youngest daughter, Sarah's 12th birthday. At 12, I let my girls wear makeup - it's the same age I was allowed to start wearing it. It's important to me that my girls understand how to apply makeup well and how to take it off. I do not want my girl to be that middle school kid who walks around with way too much black eyeliner on because she has no clue how to apply it.




For her birthday, I chose a few simple starter-type cosmetics. Her skin is healthy, so she doesn't need a foundation or base. I started in the Bonne Bell section, because their cosmetics have light, sheer shades, that are perfect for young girls to learn with. I picked up a 4-color eye shadow in Girlie Pinks, a Plum eyeliner, and black mascara. I showed Sarah how to apply the colors and gave her some tips on how to keep things looking fresh and pretty, but not too heavy. If you know a young girl who is ready to start wearing makeup, here are a few things to keep in mind.

*Chose light, fun shades that can be layered for deeper color. Young girls love shimmer, so a quad like the Bonne Bell pinks that I picked out for Sarah is perfect.

*Black eyeliner is too harsh. Chose something in a brown, plum, or light blue, if your girl wants some extra pop. A pencil or crayon-type eye liner is the easiest to use.

*Shadow and a damp eyeliner brush is also a good way to apply a subtle liner and the technique is not hard for a young girl to pick up.

*Stress the importance of keeping things clean. Wash hands before touching makeup, make sure the face is clean, don't share mascara, and keep cosmetics in a clean, dry container. Sarah is using a tackle box that used to hold her Polly Pockets. (Oh that makes me a little sad, she's so grown-up.)

*Provide a spot with plenty of light so that your girl can see what she's doing.

*Blend, blend, blend. Women of all ages need to remember that rule. *Have fun!

Image credit: Michelle Hamor Smith

1 comment:

  1. I really like the natural look of this make-up. I think it could also be applicable to older women as well because the colors are soft, not harsh and could look natural on older skin.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete