Swell Hair, Swell Makeup, Swell Skin, Swell Style, Swell Smells, Swell Fitness, and Swell Guys.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Swell Exercise: Proper Hydration

Want to know my secret to toned arms? Landscaping as a side job. Seriously. I pushed a wheelbarrow an accumulated 7 miles yesterday. Then, I went to work at my regular job. It was a long day, let me tell you, but I was able to get through it because my handsome husband brought me some Gatorade.


I've learned that when I'm exercising or working in the Summer heat I need more than plain water or iced tea - I need a sports drink to replace what I lose through perspiration. Does "perspiration" sound more feminine than "sweat", because really it's just sweat - my arms look great, but I raise them and... you get the picture.

We all know that hydration is important, but how much is enough? Well, according to Web MD....



If you are not running a race, "the rule of thumb is to drink 8 ounces of a sport drink or water possibly every 20 minutes," says Maharam, who advises the ING New York Marathon. No more, no less. "If you are exercising less than 40 minutes, water is fine, but for anything over 40 minutes, you want a sports drink that has sugar or salt in it because this helps you increase the fluid that goes into the body. Most sports drinks contain the equivalent of an "active pump" that gets more water into the body faster than the unassisted process - simple diffusion of water - would have.


So, if you are planning to get active in the heat this weekend, plan accordingly. The risks associated with dehydration are severe. And don't forget the sunscreen!

Note: I like the Gatorade G2 best. It's lower in calories.

Image credit: Gatorade.com

No comments:

Post a Comment