Swell Hair, Swell Makeup, Swell Skin, Swell Style, Swell Smells, Swell Fitness, and Swell Guys.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Swell Beauty: Ava Anderson Non-Toxic Makeup & Skin Care

Ava Anderson is not your average teenage girl. In 2008, at the age of 14, she saw a report that alerted her to the dangers of traditional makeup and skin care products.


The study was performed by the Environmental Working Group (EWG), See study at right. We were both shocked, and I immediately went to my room to begin what would turn into months of research. The more I learned, the more alarmed I became. I started searching for safe products for my family, my friends and myself. After hundreds of hours of research it was apparent that although the market was flooded with “organic”, “natural”, “safe” and “pure”, there were almost always toxic ingredients and chemicals in there, as well, not to mention the ones hidden in the ingredient “fragrance.” I managed to find some “ok stuff” but nothing that was truly non-toxic.

Anderson found that nothing was truly non-toxic, so she set out to develop something of her own. Cosmetic toxicity is rated on a scale of 0-10. Ava's products are all zero.

My daughters and I have been using the Ava Anderson* mineral foundation and blush, plus a variety of the lip glosses. The foundation is perfect for teens who have issues with their skin. It's made with a Silk Powder that is is both an anti-inflammatory and a natural moisturizer.


I like the colors - Bailey uses the light foundation, Sarah and I use the medium. It's light and comfortable. Very nice makeup. It's easy to control how heavy you apply the makeup - you can go light if you only need a little coverage, or apply more for a more opaque finish. You can purchase just the foundation or get a kit that includes the Kabuki brush, blush, and foundation.


The glosses are made with plant-based ingredients including shea butter, mango seed butter, vitamins, antioxidants, and beeswax. The colors appear dark in the tube, but they go on very sheer with a light color. Perfect for teens .... or moms - I love the plum color.

You can find the Ava Anderson Non Toxic products here.

*Products furnished to writer for review.

Image credit: Chase Your Bliss Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment